THE SANCTUARY YOUTH SERIES
THE SANCTUARY YOUTH SERIES
- What’s good about mental health?
- What does the Bible say about mental health?
- Why do I feel this way?
- What happens when we talk about mental health challenges?
- If you have a mental health challenge, can you get better?
- How can I help my friend?
- What can I do to take care of my mental health?
Our youth resource explores each of these questions, drawing on insights from mental health professionals, theologians, youth pastors, and evidence-based research. This educational and interactive resource also features the voices of young Christians with lived experiences of mental health challenges. Listening to their stories will not only reduce stigma and increase awareness within faith communities, but will also give young people a greater understanding of what it looks like to follow God during every season—including seasons of languishing. The resource is being developed by a trained counselor with extensive ministry experience. A Youth Advisory Council was involved in the early stages of research, and we are continuing to partner with young people on the resource. Sanctuary is committed to listening to the next generation and involving youth in the development process.
To receive a free guide with our recommended mental health resources for those working with youth, subscribe to our new youth newsletter. We'll send it to your inbox right after signing up. Subscribers will also receive quarterly updates with more content on youth, mental health, and faith, plus information about our progress on the resource.
This series is for:
- Young people with questions about mental health and mental health challenges
- Young people living with mental health challenges
- Young people supporting family and friends with mental health challenges
- Youth leaders and ministers who want to engage their youth groups in conversations about mental health, mental health challenges, and faith
Our target demographic is youth ages 11 to 15 years old.
Similar to The Sanctuary Course, our youth resource is designed as an eight-part series. It will include:
- A facilitation guide for youth leaders
- An eight-week discussion guide for youth, complete with activities, exercises, and prayers
- Eight educational films featuring dynamic presenters, as well as the lived experience stories of young Christians
- An informational document for parents
Sanctuary’s youth resource is designed to raise awareness and reduce stigma by starting conversations about mental health in youth groups. By the end of this series, young people will have:
- Increased their mental health literacy
- Tackled the stigma surrounding mental illnesses
- Learned how to care for their own mental health
- Developed positive attitudes towards help-seeking
- Cultivated a greater understanding of God and explored what it looks like to follow God in seasons of flourishing and languishing mental health
- Engaged in spiritual practices of companionship
This resource is designed to be led by leaders in your youth ministry. Everything you need will be downloadable from our online resource portal. This resource does not require you to have any special knowledge about mental health; it only requires a willingness to create a welcoming space for conversation and learning.
FAQS ABOUT THE SANCTUARY YOUTH SERIES
REV. MONICA COLEMAN, PHD, MDIV
MALCOLM GUITE, PHD
ED NG, PHD, R PSYCH
Mental Health Professionals
Pastors and Theologians
People with Lived Experience
relationships and supportive communities play a key role in recovery. This perspective gives the opportunity to examine unique ways that the Church can support mental health and wellbeing.
HOW DO I BEGIN?
The Sanctuary Course is available for free on our resource portal. Creating an account is simple, and then you can explore the materials of The Sanctuary Course and see how the course can benefit your community.
Getting started with talking about mental health or facilitating The Sanctuary Course in your community can feel intimidating, which is why we designed a Facilitator’s Guide specifically for facilitators of The Sanctuary Course. This PDF can be found in the downloadable materials for the course on our resource portal. We have also created a quick start page for facilitators on our resource portal. You can check it out here.